Optimizing for LOCAL search is a great way to learn SEO. Why? Because there is less competition. Here’s how.
- Write down your goal. Why are you doing this? Why do you want people to find your site?
- Brainstorm and write down search queries. What words would people type into the search engines to look for your company?
- Research your chosen keywords. Sign up for Google Adwords and learn how to use the provided “keyword tool” and “ad text ideas” generator. Learn how to use Wordtracker (paid) and/or the Keyword Difficulty tool (free).
- Using what you learned from keyword research, record what you believe to be the best keywords .
- Analyze the current search engine results pages for your keywords. Who is ranking? What are they doing effectively and ineffectively? Investigate and get to know your competition.
- Create a list of your competition. Use the information from the previous step to create a list of competitors.
- Use Yahoo Site Explorer to find the sources of your competitor’s links. Record the sources of links your competitors have and save them for later.